Saturday, May 28, 2011

SAFARI TIME!

The safari was soo much fun! By 9:00 am today I had been within feet of a family of zebras, giraffes, rhinos, warthogs, and antelope. It was so much fun, I took millions of pictures. But it was freezing, like the "40 degrees riding around in a car with no windows" kind of freezing. Then we went on another drive at 3:00 just in our van and an elephant was within 10 feet of us! It was actually kind of scary, there's not much you can do if an elephant comes at you. We didn't see any lions or leopards though, but I didn't expect to. A teacher I was talking to at one of the schools said he's been here over 10 times and still hasn't seen the cats. Plus the grass is at its highest right now so everything is really camouflaged.

I can see why this might be scary...
There's a walking safari here where you just go out with a guy and a gun. That would have been really cool, but it was booked for the next two days. The safari was surprisingly cheap (the program paid for ours) but it was only 300 rand per person for 3 hours which is less than $50. We're having a braai for dinner, but we've had a huge breakfast and lunch today, I'm not even hungry lol.

South African braai (barbecue)
Tomorrow were going to an estuary for a boat ride at 8 am. Hopefully well see hippos and crocodiles in the water because we didn't see any today.

Estuary near Hluhluwe
I don't know if this is where she is going, but I hope she sees this many hippos!


No comments:

Post a Comment