Tuesday, May 31, 2011

More Safari and First Homestay

I definitely like seeing the kids more than animals. We're at another park now and the 500th giraffe you see isn't as cool as the first. We stayed at the roundhouses at the game park so it was really nice, but the cabin we're at now is gross.

Two nights ago we had our first home stay. My host family was nice, but they weren't very talkative and they went to bed not long after I got there. Yesterday I went to the school my host mom teaches at. I didn't like it that much because a lot of the kids didn't know English so I couldn't communicate with them. Even though school is supposed to be taught in English after grade 3, I sat in on a 6th grade science class that was almost all Zulu (click on the link to listen to "The Circle of Life" in Zulu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qNSwXm-Cl4). 

After school we went to a nature reserve and went on a hike to see giraffes and zebras, it was alright but we were all really tired and didn't want to go anyway. Then we had a bonfire and dinner and everyone went to bed pretty early.


Today we had our first service project. We went to a boarding high school and scraped the paint and sanded the walls in the dorms. I'm pretty sure I'll have lead poisoning or something because we didn't have any kind of mask to stop us from breathing it all in. I would have rather been painting or something. My throat has been sore the past couple days and that didn't help at all.

We're staying at the nature reserve again tonight, but tomorrow I think we're going to a guest house, I don't know what city we're going to though. It's actually really cold in the mornings and at night here.  It's hard to say I wouldn't rather be at home, as much fun as I'm having I'd jump on the next plane out if I had the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment