Saturday, May 21, 2011

City #2 - Durban, South Africa

Hi Everyone,
This is Kelsey's sister, Sarah.  Kelsey has been really busy and doesn't think she'll be able to keep up with the blog.  Since I know a lot of family and friends are reading it, I'll be updating it for the rest of her trip with the emails she sends my parents almost every day.  Still feel free to leave comments for Kelsey, I will be sure to pass them on to her.  She misses everyone a lot and she would love to hear from you!  Here are the last few days that she has missed, starting with the most recent.
    
May 21, 2011
The BBQ on Friday was pretty good.  They have a sausage here called voorwurst that I really like but that was about it.  Meat here is really expensive so they don't have very much.  They serve something called "pap" with every meal.  It's like a cornmeal paste but it has no flavor, I don't like it.


My night out was fun, the people are really nice and love talking to Americans. I heard we have pretty accents, but I'm pretty sure they aren't, lol. It was fun to go to a bar, all the white guys look like "eurotrash" though (think guys with mullets and wearing capris). Two guys told me I would make a good wife because I don't smoke, haha. 

We just got to our flat in Durban (#2 on the map).  There are 3 people in my flat, it's really nice. We're right on the Indian Ocean and we have our own kitchen and bathroom. Halfway through our ride we stopped at an orphanage for kids who have lost their parents to AIDS or have AIDS themselves.  The kids were all so happy despite their situation. The orphanage was made up of concrete buildings, but it was nothing like you would see in the U.S. I loved playing with all the kids, they were so cute. Michigan State University funds a lot of the orphanage, it was sad because it was in a township made up of tin shacks. 

I've taken so many pictures I'm going to have to buy a new memory card for my camera.  I won't be able to upload pictures until I get home though because you can't do it at the Internet cafes.  The trip is getting expensive, food costs a lot so the $50 a day we get for food is used up quickly since we basically have to provide all our own meals.  We start school visits on Monday, I can't wait!

Durban, South Africa
 

No comments:

Post a Comment