Thursday, May 26, 2011

Last Day in Durban!

University of KwaZulu-Natal
Today we went to the Verulam Islamic School in Durban. Its a religious school but anyone can go there. They were so welcoming to us, we got breakfast and lunch and a huge welcoming from the students. A 7th grader recited a verse from the Qaran, he's memorized 27 of the 30 chapters! And then a little girl sang us a song about how her mom was amazing, but then it was just a dream and she was an orphan. It was really sad, I don't think there was any dry eye in the house. I watched a sex ed class, the teacher talked about rape and arranged marriage and it was really interesting.

After that we had a lecture about the economics of teaching...

Right now I'm on the way back from the Zulu healer's house. It isn't like you'd expect, he was very westernized. He said if someone comes to him with a head injury he makes them go get an x-ray or if he thinks someone has AIDS he makes them get a blood test. It was a really cool conversation about how he combines modern medicine with traditional practices to help his patients.

I hope this is what he looked like :-)
There was an article written about our group in a South African magazine.  It's called "America's Future Educators Visit South Africa" and it was in the Coastal Weekly.  I'm sure there are a lot of newspapers called that, but if you can find the article online then you can finally see my face! (I can't find it online)

I miss all my TV shows! The TV here is really behind in what season they're showing, and a lot of the local shows are in either Afrikans or Zulu. Afrikans is understandable sometimes because they have similar words but Zulu is a language with a ton of clicking in it so there's no chance.  I'm having better luck with food, but all I really want is a salad.  It sounds weird, but everything here is cooked and I haven't had a salad since I got here. A lot of the food is heavy in gravy and there's a lot of starch, so a salad would be so refreshing right now.

Tomorrow I'm going to the game park after our last school visit. I'm spending the weekend there and then staying in the rural towns for all of next week. I have no idea if I'll have service or when I will be able to talk to people next. Hopefully I can find some, it's going to be really hard to have no communication.

Next stop...Hluhluwe Game Reserve!
 Love and miss everybody so much, hopefully talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment